Similar to the Windows OS, Apple’s Mac OS X also offers compatibility for printers that produce immaculate results, prolonged life span and look great with your MacBook, MacBook Pro and iMac in terms of price, aesthetics and functionality. There are many printers available in the market for Mac OS X but not all of them produce high-quality prints. In this article, we have compiled a list of 5 best printers for the Mac OS X home use in 2020 which supports AirPrint. You can find laserjet printers for Mac also which can be used for college students for high-quality print outs.
You should consider the purpose, cost and usage of the printer while selecting the printer model. Whether you need color or black only, how about laser jet or ink-jet cartridges? Heavy duty or normal home usage with fewer print pages per day? these all come into consideration while selecting the best printer for your Mac computer.
5 Best Printers for Mac Home and College Students Use in 2020
Canon Pixma iP8720 Wireless Inkjet Photo Printer
Owners of products running the Mac OS X who cannot pay for a ridiculously high printer can think of the iP8720 as the perfect substitute required to print crisp, colorful photos, or black and white images. The first printer in the list possess a maximum dimension of 19 by 13 inches for printing photos and its single tray can hold up to 150 sheets of plain paper or a minimum of 20 sheets of photo paper, which should easily suffice for your daily printing needs. Keep in mind though, the maximum paper storage capacity (specifically the photo printer) will also depend on the actual thickness of the paper itself, so results may vary.
- OS Compatibility :Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 , Windows 7 SP1, Windows Vista SP1, Vista SP2, Windows XP SP3 32 bit13; Mac compatibility : Mac OS X v10.6.8 v10.913
- Utilizes Air Print, Google Cloud Print and PIXMA Printing Solutions (PPS)
- Fine print head technology (Full photolithography Inkjet Nozzle Engineering)
- High performance 5 individual ink tank system.Auto Sheet Feeder 150 sheets
- 9600 x 2400 dots per inch maximum print resolution; Print Resolution (Up to): black: 600 x 600 dots per inch, number of nozzles: color: 4,096, black: 1,024, total: 5,120
Regardless, if your main tasks revolve around printing text, graphics, and photos on plain paper, the iP8720 would make the perfect match for your Mac OS X product. In addition, one perk of owning the iP8720 is that it features wireless printing that can be executed through the cloud or WiFi with either AirPrint or with Canon’s free apps that have been developed for the Android and iOS platforms. However, for this feature to work, you will require an access point on your network by which the printer can connect to the access point wirelessly. Since the printer does not possess an Ethernet port, the aforementioned equipment will be necessary for wireless printing to take place. By purchasing the iP8720, you will only be enduring below $200 hit, which is a steal of a printer product, seeing as how other products offer less for too high a price.back to menu ↑
HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One
This is one of the best printers for Mac home users and even for college students. HP is no stranger when it comes to making feature enriched products and the Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One is one of them. The Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One can easily provide you with wireless printing functionality by either connecting the printer through the Ethernet port provided into the router or by wirelessly accessing the feature by joining an access point and the printer. The great thing about the wireless printing functionality is that it is compatible with the iOS, Android, and BlackBerry platforms.
11 used from $127.49
- Limited time offer: 4 months of ink free, when you sign up HP instant ink service during printer setup; offer ends 1/11/2020
- Upgrade your office - Replacing the office jet Pro 8710, This small Office printer offers faster printing at 22 pages per minute, automatic 2-sided copy and scan, a 35-page automatic document feeder, and is 37% smaller
- Save time with smart tasks - eliminate steps in repetitive tasks and sync to quick books, Google Drive, and more using smart tasks-the easiest way to digitize and organize receipts and business documents on your phone or printer
Furthermore, using HP’s Web apps provides you with a whole new echelon for wireless printing, and the near-field communication (NFC) chip provided inside the printer will provide additional flexibility even though support is limited. According to HP, the only device that will be compatible with the HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One through the NFC chip is the HP ElitePad 900, which is retailing for $479.00. As for paper handling, the single tray can support up to 250 sheets, giving you a large time window before you need to refill the tray. The 8620 also offers a print duplexer (for printing on both sides of a page), and a scanner. The print duplexer is convenient when you want to avoid the tedious task of flipping over the sheet of paper yourself to perform a manual double-sided print. All in all, the HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One is another product that will go nicely with your Mac OS X product.
We have already listed the best external hard disks for Mavericks, Yosemite Mac OS X here.back to menu ↑
Samsung Multifunction Xpress M2875FW
Another printer that ends up in the round-off for the Mac OS X is Samsung’s Multifunction Xpress M2875FW. Providing users with similar wireless printing features (Ethernet and wireless access) as the HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One, the M2875FW also provides a WiFi Direct printing feature, which lets users use WiFi to connect directly to the printer from a smartphone, tablet, or laptop that offers WiFi. The WiFi direct feature can easily be located on your smartphone. While the printer still comes with a USB cable, having access to wireless printing is still a necessary perk. If you feel that the wireless printing feature is a bit overkill, you can always sate your requirements with a hardwired M2875FW.
- ONE-YEAR LIMITED HARDWARE WARRANTY - Samsung printer, now supported by HP(1), provides 24-hour, 7 days a week Web support.
- GET PRINT ON TAP - NFC enables your mobile device to connect and communicate with your printer. Simply tap your NFC-enabled phone or tablet to this monochrome laser printer and start the print, scan, copy or fax jobs (Android device only).
- EASY MOBILE PRINTING - Download the free Samsung Mobile Print app, use AirPrint or Google Cloud Print and print directly with your mobile device from this wireless laser printer.
In terms of paper handling, the M2875FW can handle up a stock of 250 sheets plus a manual feed. This will allow you to print on a different paper stock without having to go through the elongated process of swapping out the paper in the tray during the middle of work. The duplexer is also a nice feature, as it increases overall productivity in an office and home environment. The form factor of the printer is such that it provides enough room for papers to be filled and cables connected without the obstruction of your hands as well as being small enough to provide you with sufficient space for the remainder of your office paraphernalia. Adding an M2875FW to a Mac OS X machine is definitely a worthy upgrade.back to menu ↑
Epson WorkForce WF-3640
If you’re looking for a cheaper solution to go with your Mac OS X, Epson’s WorkForce WF-3640 provides you with a plethora of features without taxing your bank account. It can be the correct choice macOS and iOS home use. Retailing under 200 dollars, the WF-3640 offers wireless printing through Ethernet, WiFi, and through iOS or Android devices through a network Wi-Fi access point. Cloud printing capability has also been added to the feature table. However, keep in mind that if you want to take advantage of the cloud printing feature, you will have to frequently practice and not get used to attach the USB cable to the computer.
5 used from $110.00
- Get Performance Beyond Laser with the WorkForce WF-3640, powered by PrecisionCore. Maximum Copy Size:8.5" x 14" (PC-free)
- Save time - Professional-quality prints with speeds of 19 ISO ppm (black) and 10 ISO ppm (color)
- Save up to 40 percent lower printing cost vs. color laser
- Print anywhere, anytime - from iPad, iPhone, tablets and smartphones; includes wireless and Wi-Fi Direct
- Do more - auto 2-sided print, copy, scan and fax; plus 35-page Auto Document Feeder
For the price, paper handling is one of the printer’s most commendable offerings. The printer features two paper loaders that are able to accommodate up to 250 papers each, totalling the paper count to a mammoth value of 500 sheets. Furthermore, there is also a duplexer for two-sided printing that you can take advantage of. If your requirement is to start printing a large amount of paper without continuously adding sheets to the tray, then the WF-3640 is where your long search ends.back to menu ↑
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M521dn
Another HP product falls into the round-off, and although it is the most expensive product in the entire round-off, the MFP M521dn can be described as nothing less than a beefed-up car engine that can handle a 75,000 page per month maximum duty cycle. Even though this printer is last in line for top 5 printers for Mac OS X, it can still do a great job if you are looking for a Mac laserjet printer.
14 used from $298.26
- Fast Efficiency - Finish jobs faster, produce high-quality documents, and simplify scanning and sharing with the HP LaserJet Pro MFP M521dn, a multifunction laser printer designed to provide impressive speed and performance
- Top Quality And Speed - Increase business efficiency with an easy-to-manage multifunction printer, thanks to automatic 2-sided printing, single-pass, 2-sided scanning, and a 1, 100-sheet input capacity for high-volume jobs
In addition to the ridiculously large paper count, it can print, fax, and scan to an existing computer that is connected to the same network that the printer is connected to. The MFP M521dn is also equipped with a 3.5-inch touch screen and resonates an easy to use menu system. That’s not all, the MFP M521dn is armed with a 500 sheet paper drawer, a 100 sheet multipurpose tray standard, and an automatic duplexer, making the grand total reach to a healthy figure of 600 sheets. If you have $185 left in spare, then you can add a second 500 sheet drawer ($185 street), totalling the sheet count to 1,100 sheets. While the MFP M521dn carries a hefty price tag, if the affluent consumer can purchase something as expensive as a Mac OS X product, then this printer should not be difficult for them to procure.
Each printer provides functionality that will be suited to every kind of user who uses Mac OS X on MacBook Pro or MacBook Air. Since everyone’s requirements will differ from the remainder of the consumers, this round-off of these 5 best printers for Mac OS X ( Mavericks, Mountain Lion and Yosemite) home use or for college students in 2020 provides you with the perfect combination of price and functionality to satisfy your printing needs.